Disability Services FAQs

Hide All Show All

Is there a separate admissions process for students with disabilities?

No. Lancaster Bible College has an admissions process and regardless of any disability, a student must meet the same admissions criteria as every other student. It is important to note that students are not asked about their disability during the admissions process; however, some students may wish to disclose that they have a disability to explain certain situations. For example, a student with a diagnosed learning disability may have not taken the SATs or ACT with accommodations and, as a result, their scores are lower than the admissions standard. If the student is denied admission, they may appeal and disclose the disability as an explanation for not meeting the entrance criteria. (Note: disclosure does not guarantee acceptance.) If all other requirements are met, disclosure of the learning disability may be used to review the application through an exceptions process.

If I send information on my disability to the Admissions Office, am I automatically registered with Student Disability Services?

No. Disability information is confidential and not shared between offices without a specific written request from the student. Generally, students who have a disability should plan to meet with the Director of Disability Services soon after they receive their acceptance letter. The purpose of this meeting should be to disclose the disability and submit documentation so that appropriate accommodations can be arranged for the start of the semester.

Are students with disabilities allowed into every academic program and activity?

LBC provides access for students with disabilities to any program or activity that is offered to any enrolled student. Each student, with or without a disability, must be otherwise qualified for the program or activity. For example, all students must maintain the state-required minimum grade point average and acquire passing scores on the PRAXIS exam for a Teacher Education major to remain in that department.

If I register with Student Disability Services, will it show up on my permanent record?

No. Your permanent record is maintained by the Registrar's Office and is completely separate from records maintained in Disability Services.

What is considered a disability?

As defined by the Americans with Disability Act (as amended) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, a disability is a mental, physical, or emotional impairment, which substantially limits one or more major life activity.

Will a high school Individualized Education Plan (IEP) or 504 Plan provide sufficient documentation of a disability?

No. Although the IEP and 504 Plan may provide valuable information when discussing appropriate accommodations, you will need to provide documentation of the disability from a licensed professional evaluator. View Documentation Guidelines.

How can I get documentation/evaluation for a learning disability or ADHD?

The DS Office has a list of professionals in the Lancaster area who can evaluate you for LD or ADHD. Office staff can also offer suggestions for locating a professional in your area. LBC does not employ staff to provide these evaluations, but the DS Director is available to assist students in determining whether it would be appropriate to pursue an evaluation.

Do accommodations give students with a learning disability or ADHD an unfair advantage?

No. Accommodations are based on the nature of the disability and the academic environment. The purpose is to provide the student with an environment that allows them to obtain information and demonstrate mastery of the information by minimizing or eliminating the impact of the disability. Accommodations are provided to level the playing field, not to give unfair advantage. Accommodations do not guarantee success; they are meant to provide access.

How do I get classroom accommodations?

You must meet with the Director of Disability Services to review documentation and establish appropriate accommodations. To ensure that the accommodations are consistently provided by each of your professors, you are given a formal document that lists the specific accommodations allowed. You may use this list as a springboard for discussion when you meet with faculty.

Note: You are not required to disclose your specific disability; rather, we recommend that you discuss why an accommodation is needed. Also, faculty have been informed that they must provide the accommodations listed in the letter.

Is it possible to obtain course substitutions?

While LBC does not waive course requirements, in some cases, a disability may make course substitutions appropriate. There must be a direct correlation between the request and the disability as evidenced by ADA eligibility documentation. For example, a request which includes at least one (1) attempt at learning college level math, including regular class attendance and completed assignments, will have their request considered.

Students requesting substitutions for math should submit a Course Substitution Request Form to the Director of Disability Services. If approved, the request will be forwarded to the Registrar. No student will be granted a substitution by the Registrar's Office without DS notification. It is the student's responsibility to meet with the Registrar to determine approved substitution courses for degree-seeking purposes.

Do all students with disabilities get priority registration for classes?

No. Priority registration for students with disabilities is to allow for accommodation purposes only. For example, if students have mobility impairments or need extra time on exams due to learning disabilities, priority registration is an appropriate accommodation to ensure that courses taken allow sufficient time between classes. Priority registration is not automatic every semester, and does not continue when students with disabilities can be accommodated without priority registration.

Is there a charge for e-text?

No, however, students must purchase textbooks and bring them along with receipts to the DS Office in exchange for electronic, screen reader-accessible copies. When the electronic devices are returned at the end of the semester, the students receive their books back.

If I sustain a temporary disability, am I eligible for services?

Although temporary disabilities are not covered under ADA /504, LBC provides limited services on an as-needed basis. For example, if a student breaks a wrist on their writing arm, they may request a scribe for essay exams. The cost of personal care issues, such as a wheelchair for transportation around campus after breaking one's leg, must be secured through the attending physician and your insurance provider.