Disability Services FAQs

Hide All

Show All

Is there a separate admissions process for students with disabilities?

No. Lancaster Bible College has a published admissions process; each student, regardless of disability, must meet the same admissions criteria as every other applicant.  It is important to note that students are not asked about their disability during the admissions process; however, some students may wish to disclose that they have a disability to explain certain situations. For example, a student with a diagnosed learning disability may not have taken the SATs or ACT with accommodations and, as a result, earned lower scores than the admissions standard. If the student is denied admission, he/she may appeal and disclose the disability as an explanation for not meeting the entrance criteria. (Note: disclosure does not guarantee acceptance.) If all other requirements are met, disclosure of the learning disability may be used to review the application through an exceptions process.

If I send information on my disability to the Admissions Office, am I automatically registered with Disability Services?

No. Disability information is confidential and not shared between offices without a specific written request from the student. Generally, students who have a disability should plan to meet with the Director of Disability Services soon after they receive their acceptance letter. The purpose of this meeting should be to disclose the disability, provide information, and may also include the submission of formal documentation so that appropriate accommodations can be arranged for the start of the semester.

Are students with disabilities allowed into every academic program and activity?

LBC provides access for students with disabilities to any program or activity that is offered to any enrolled student. Each student, with or without a disability, must be otherwise qualified for the program or activity. An example of this is maintaining a minimum grade point average and acquiring passing scores on the PRAXIS exam for a Teacher Education major to remain in that department.

If I register with Student Disability Services, will it be noted in my college transcript?

No. Your permanent record is maintained by the Registrar's Office and is completely separate from records maintained in Disability Services.

What is considered a disability?

As defined by the Americans with Disability Act (as amended) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, a disability is a mental, physical, or emotional impairment, which substantially limits one or more major life activity.

Will a high school Individualized Education Plan (IEP) or 504 Plan provide sufficient documentation of a disability?

No. Although the IEP and 504 Plan may provide valuable information when discussing appropriate accommodations, you will need to provide documentation of the disability from a licensed professional evaluator. View Documentation Guidelines.

How can I get documentation/evaluation for a learning disability (LD) or ADHD?

The DS Office has a list of professionals in the Lancaster area who can evaluate you for LD or ADHD. Office staff can also offer suggestions for locating a professional in your area. Post-secondary institutions do not provide these evaluations; the cost is born by the student’s family. The DS Director is available to assist students in determining whether it would be appropriate to pursue an evaluation.

Do accommodations give students with a learning disability or ADHD an unfair advantage?

No. Accommodations are based on the nature of the disability and the academic environment. The purpose is to provide the student with an environment that allows them to obtain information and demonstrate mastery of the information by minimizing or eliminating the impact of the disability. Accommodations are provided to level the playing field, not to give unfair advantage. Accommodations do not guarantee success; they are meant to provide access.

How do I request and receive classroom accommodations?

You must meet with the Director of Disability Services to review any information and/or documentation you provide, so that appropriate accommodations can be determined. To ensure that the accommodations are consistently provided by each of your professors, you are given a formal document that lists the specific accommodations allowed. You may use this list as a springboard for discussion when you meet with faculty.

Note: You are not required to disclose your specific disability; rather, discussion about why an accommodation is needed is recommended. Also, all faculty are aware that they must provide the accommodations listed in the form you show them.

Is it possible to obtain course substitutions?

While LBC does not waive course requirements, in some cases, a disability may make course substitutions appropriate. There must be a direct correlation between the request and the disability. This is a situation where providing additional evaluation material is helpful for making such a decision. For example, a request for a math substitution could be considered if evidence of the following is included in the request: enrollment in a college level math for which a failing grade was earned while maintaining regular class attendance, meeting with tutors on a weekly basis for that course, submitting all course assignments and taking all tests and exams.

Students requesting substitutions must submit a Course Substitution Request Form to the Director of Disability Services. If approved, the request will be forwarded to the Registrar. NOTE: No student will be granted a substitution by the Registrar's Office without the DS form. It is the student's responsibility to meet with the Registrar to determine approved substitution courses for degree-seeking purposes. NOTE: Substitution requests for majors which require particular courses in their curriculum cannot be granted.

Do all students with disabilities get priority registration for classes?

No. The purpose for priority registration is to insure that students with disabilities have the same access that other students do. For example, if a student has a mobility impairment or needs extra time on exams due to a learning disability, priority registration is an appropriate accommodation to insure that courses taken allow sufficient time between classes. NOTE: Priority registration is not automatic every semester, or when students with disabilities can be accommodated without priority registration.

Is there a charge for e-text?

No. However, students must provide receipts to the Director of Disability Services for the textbooks they wish to obtain on CD as electronic, screen reader-accessible e-text copies. E-text CD’s must be returned at the end of the semester, before requesting e-text for the next semester.

If I sustain a temporary disability, am I eligible for services?

Although temporary disabilities are not covered under ADA /504, LBC provides limited services on an as-needed basis. For example, if a student breaks a wrist on their writing arm, he may be provided assistive technology or a scribe for essay exams. On the other hand, the cost of personal care items, such as a wheelchair for transportation around campus after breaking one's leg, must be secured through the attending physician and your insurance provider.