Full-time, Hourly Staff
Location: Lancaster, PA
This position exists for the purpose of supporting the Grounds Supervisor in the maintenance and upkeep of College campus grounds.
Candidates will meet the following requirements:
- High school diploma or GED equivalent.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in grounds-keeping/landscaping in a supervisory position
- Valid driver’s license required.
Candidates will need to possess the following tasks:
- Provide care and maintenance of campus grounds in accordance with industry “best practices”
- Operation of lawn mowers, both riding and push, to maintain grass at acceptable levels
- Landscape by planting of flowers, grass, shrubs, bushes and trees or the coordination thereof.
- Maintain sidewalks and roadways is a safe a passable manner that is clear of debris
- Trimming of shrubs and trees for both general maintenance and appearance as well as for hazards
- Rake, mulch, weed and prune grounds to promote an attractive appearance of campus
- Water plants and grass as needed to promote healthy growth
- Assist in shoveling snow from walkways to ensure safe passing
- Assist in plowing of roadways for safe passing
- Reading and understanding written instructions such as Work Orders.
- Writing reports of actions taken and recommendations for a supervisor.
Physical – The physical ability to use the body in primary type skills necessary to perform duties such as, but not limited to, the following:
- Heavy lifting, carrying, and reaching high places.
- Working in adverse elements such as rain, snow and cold.
- Proficient use of hand tools
- Using power tools and various pieces of grounds keeping equipment such as push-mowers, riding mowers, chainsaw, pruners, tractor etc.
- Driving of vehicles and powered equipment such as riding mowers, tractors, backhoes, aerial lifts and snowplows.
- Ability to be flexible and adjust to changing priorities based on the needs of the College
- Conduct grounds-keeping operations in accordance with College standards and industry “best-practices”
- Supervise and train full and part-time employees and student workers in all aspects of grounds-keeping operations
- Assist Grounds Supervisor in on-going development and updating of grounds keeping strategic plan/standards and guidelines
- Provide input and ideas which promote a “fresh and updated” look to the Colleges landscape in keeping with College standards
- Planning and scheduling of periodic/seasonal maintenance of campus landscape
- Assist Grounds Supervisor in the care and maintenance of residential properties as needed
- Assist Director in providing leadership and organization of inclement weather needs such as during snow removal.
Candidates will work closely with other members of the Physical Plant and College staff and assist in other duties whenever called upon as needed for the good and welfare of the total college ministry.