If you are asking this question, you are probably struggling with a specific concern, or a variety of concerns.  It does not mean that you’re crazy, or “whack-o” or “sick”. What it DOES mean is that you probably could benefit from talking with someone who can assist you in figuring things out.

Simply stop in the C3 office to complete a brief, intake form on which you can list your concerns and your current schedule. You may also call the C3 office at 717.569.7071 (ext. 5581 on campus) for instructions. We are conveniently located in the Charles Frey Academic Center.

You will be contacted with an appointment time. In most non-emergency cases, we can fit students into the schedule within one to five days.

For emergencies, you can seek the help of a Resident Assistant or Resident Director, or you can call Public Safety at x8247 for instructions to reach a counselor immediately.

Appointments are usually scheduled weekly, and last about 50 minutes.

Many clients benefit from a single counseling session. For more complex concerns, you may choose to meet for more sessions with your counselor. Most students average between 3 and 8 sessions. At any time, you are welcome to return for further help with the same or a new situation.

You will connect with one of our trained counselors who will listen to your concerns, and work with you to:

Define and clarify your problem(s)

  • Explore the possibilities that exist for change
  • Develop a strategy for action


  • Ann Landers “expert” advice
  • Things to do to get better immediately
  • Your counselor to tell you what to do – “shoulds” or “musts” about your behavior


  • Clues to better coping
  • Support and guidance to make sometimes difficult changes
  • To speak honestly about your state of mind, feelings and disappointments
  • Caring, gentle challenge without any judgment


Counseling sessions are normally most effective on a one to one basis. However, in certain cases students are more comfortable bringing a friend to support them in the initial stages of counseling. Simply request this when you complete your intake.


The C3 office offers counseling to engaged as well as married couples.


What you share with the counselor will be held in confidence, unless you give your counselor permission to discuss it with others. This is the case except for incidents of suspected abuse of children or elderly persons, or when you present a serious danger to yourself or others or in the extremely unlikely event that records are requested by a court of law. You will be asked to sign a specific release form before any information is provided to outside parties.

What’s your next step?