Let’s be honest – life can be overwhelming sometimes. In moments of trouble, crisis, trauma or strife, it can be difficult to remove yourself from the pain you’re presently experiencing and look to God for guidance. If you find yourself in the midst of a difficult situation or trying season of life that leaves you feeling hopeless, here’s a list of six Bible stories and verses you can turn to for encouragement.
1. “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.” (NIV) – Hebrews 13:8
When you’re discouraged, take heart in the fact that our God is unchanging.
2. “I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us.” (NIV) – Romans 8:18
In the book of Romans, Paul admonishes his Roman readers to remember that while they may suffer on the earth, their salvation and ultimate hope is found in Jesus Christ.
3. “God is our refuge and strength, and ever-present help in trouble.” (NIV) – Psalm 46:1
Remember: God is always with you.
4. Read the Book of Esther.
If you’re feeling helpless, re-read the story of Esther. She was trapped in a situation that was out of her control – and yet God used that exact position to save many people and accomplish His will.
5. “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.” – (NIV) Romans 8:28
This is a promise believers can cling to: God can redeem anything and anyone.
6. “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” (NIV) – Philippians 4:6-7
Feeling stressed? Disheartened? Anxious? Bring your thoughts and feelings – good or bad – to God in prayer.